[Corpora-List] concordance program for large files

Max Silberztein max.silberztein at univ-fcomte.fr
Wed Sep 3 14:05:39 UTC 2008

Francis,

I agree with you: no flame war!

However, you should know that the only people who ever bought INTEX did not buy it from my university, but from an organization called ASSTRIL run by the same guys who brought you Unitex; Unitex was born a few weeks after a lawyer forced them to stop selling INTEX, after a year-long battle.

I am puzzled by your argument: does GPL philosophy really advocate copying other people's work without proper authorization or citation? Call me naive but I thought GPL licensing was created to *protect* original authors, not to pirate them. It took me 10 years to write INTEX and I was devastated when unscrupulous colleagues plagiarized it.

Actually I believe that Unitex is an insult to the GPL community: how does Unitex-style behavior help academics feel confident that they can indeed give away the source of their work without fearing that they will be plagiarized?

Finally, your argument against the right of a small lab (which has no access to CNRS funding) to decide on its distribution policy is used by pirates to advocate copying movies/CDs/software. Don't you think there ought to be some minimal respect of author's rights, especially within the academic community?

--Max