[Corpora-List] algo for semantic structure

John F. Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Thu Sep 4 05:35:17 UTC 2008

That is the Holy Grail:

 > Can any one give an idea about best algorithm to transform
 > syntactic structure into a semantic structure, in NLP context.

A general algorithm for that task would be a solution to the
problem of "language understanding".  And no computer system
can truly be said to understand natural language with anything
remotely resembling human ability.

In any case, I would first ask what you mean by "semantic structure".
Most people who propose a theory of semantic structure have also
proposed some method for relating a syntactic structure, such as a
parse tree or a dependency graph, to a semantic structure of the
type specified by the theory.

There are many good parsers that produce correct syntactic
structures for a reasonable percentage of sentences of some genre.
However, the percentage of completely correct semantic structures
generated from those syntactic structures is much, much lower.

John Sowa