[Corpora-List] algo for semantic structure

Gregory Marton gremio at csail.mit.edu
Thu Sep 4 14:51:45 UTC 2008

Hi Vrone,

> Its a NL querying system which checks for the entered natural language
> query against the database schema, so the task is to make a semantic tree
> structure against the database domain. hope this clears my question.

As the recent interview linked in my previous email said, many companies
have tried to commercialize a solution for natural language access to
databases, both structured and semistructured (including some free text
fields).  A quick google search will reveal dozens of patents.

More on the research end, here's a partial reading list, to which perhaps
others will add (though I'm not sure of its relevance to the Corpora list):

1994 Androutsopoulos: Natural Language Interfaces to Databases --- an
      Introduction
http://www.citebase.org/cgi-bin/fulltext?format=application/pdf&identifier=oai:arXiv.org:cmp-lg/9503016

1998 Androutsopoulos: Time, Tense, and Aspect in Natural Language Database
      Interfaces
http://journals.cambridge.org/production/action/cjoGetFulltext?fulltextid=48450

2004 Chu, Meng: Database Query Formation from Natural Language using
      Semantic Modeling and Statistical Keyword Meaning Disambiguation
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1008992.1008996

2004 Kang, Na, Lee, Yang: Lightweight Natural Language Database Interfaces
http://www.springerlink.com/content/1pdb60pk7ket0m1r/

2005 Katz, Borchardt, Felshin: Syntactic and Semantic Decomposition
      Strategies for Question Answering from Multiple Resources
http://groups.csail.mit.edu/infolab/publications/Katz-etal-AAAI05W5.pdf

2006 Yang, Jagadish: Constructing a Generic Natural Language Interface for
                 an XML Database
http://www.springerlink.com/content/9864800228465p73/

2007 Lipczak, Milos: Natural Search Queries for Consumer-Oriented Databases
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=4437939

Hope that helps,
Grem

> Hi Gregory
>
> Its a NL querying system which checks for the entered natural language
> query against the database schema, so the task is to make a semantic tree
> structure against the database domain. hope this clears my question.
>
> regards
>

>> Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 12:11:32 -0400
>> From: gremio at csail.mit.edu
>> To: vrone at hotmail.co.uk
>> Subject: RE: algo for semantic structure
>>
>> Hi Vrone,
>>
>> There are so very many definitions of "meaningful".  I'll try a different
>> tack: for what purpose do you wish to employ this representation?  As you
>> mention a natural language query, are you trying to do free-text question
>> answering, as exemplified by previous TREC-QA tracks, or perhaps translate
>> natural language queries into structured database queries?
>>
>> http://trec.nist.gov/data/qa.html
>> http://www.ddj.com/database/206904663
>>
>> Best,
>> Grem
>>
>>> Hi Grem,
>>>
>>> By semantic representation I meant A meaningfull representation of the
>>> POS tagged syntactic structure, made from a natural language query.
>>>
>>> Regards

>>> Make a mini you and download it into Windows Live Messenger
>>> http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/111354029/direct/01/
>>
>> --
>> ------ __@   Gregory A. Marton                http://csail.mit.edu/~gremio/
>> -- (*)/ (*)      Birds are caught by their feet, men by their tongues.

> Win New York holidays with Kellogg?s & Live Search

------ __@   Gregory A. Marton                http://csail.mit.edu/~gremio/
-- (*)/ (*)               I came, I saw, I thunked, I flunked.