[Corpora-List] english lexicon

Eric Atwell eric at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Apr 2 21:59:41 UTC 2009

Tine,

I don't think LDOCE has what you asked for, words and their inflexional
forms - at least not straightforwardly. An LDOCE entry gives the base or
root form but NOT inflected forms unless they are irregular; and even
then, it is not straightforward to extract the inflected forms. For
example, compare the entry for "feat":

((feat)
    (1 F0032500 !< feat)
    (3 fi : t)
    (5 n !<)
    (7 0 !< !< ---- !< ----T)
    (8 a clever esp !. bodily action !, showing strength
       !, skill !, or courage : *46 It was quite a feat to
       move that piano by yourself))

and the start of the entry for "eat":

((eat)
    (1 E0007900 !< eat)
    (3 i : t)
    (5 v !< ate *CC / et !, eIt = eIt / !, *45 eaten *CC /
       !"i : tn /)
    (7 100 !< T1 (*CA UP *CB *44) !; *64 I *DE !< FO-- !<
       ----O----5)
    (8 to take in through the mouth and swallow
       (solid food or soup) : *46 Eat your dinner !! *44
       !| (fig !.) *46 That big house eats up money)

Field 5 shows wordclass and inflected forms;
"feat" is a noun (n) and no plural is shown (so it must be regular);
"eat" is a verb (v) and irregular inflections are shown

I suggest it will be easier to extract inflected froms from CELEX
http://www.ldc.upenn.edu/Catalog/CatalogEntry.jsp?catalogId=LDC96L14

or CUV2 (Computer-usable version 2 of English wordlist with inflected
forms, phonetic transcriptions and syntactic information)
http://ota.oucs.ox.ac.uk/headers/0710.xml

I hope this helps

Eric Atwell, Leeds University