[Corpora-List] Frequency of masc./fem/neut. in German

Sven Hartrumpf Sven.Hartrumpf at FernUni-Hagen.de
Thu Apr 16 13:03:05 UTC 2009

Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:35:13 -0700, slobin wrote:

> How does this count treat noun compounds?
> E.g., das Werk, der Werkfuehrer, die Werkstatt ... /
> die Kammer, das Kammerwasser, der Kammerbeamter ...

Not specially. Nominal compounds receive their gender from
the last part (the base part).
In the lexica I cited, compounds do occur, but -- normally --
(semantically) regular compounds are avoided in such lexica.
But I would expect no big change if including more and more
compounds in the counts.

For example, I just took the 127,356 most frequent nominal compounds
from an older German Wikipedia (2006-11-30) and the distribution
is similar:

> >                  fem   masc  neut
> > HaGenLex          6409  4702  1723
                     49.9% 36.6% 13.4%