[Corpora-List] Decision tree : maximise recall over precision

Stefanie Tellex stefie10 at alum.mit.edu
Tue Apr 21 15:54:41 UTC 2009

I too would be interested to hear what you end up doing, since I'm also
using decision trees for information retrieval.

I was thinking about the following hack:  duplicate the "yes" training
examples N times. This will prevent the "yes" nodes in the tree from
getting pruned because they contain too few examples compared to the
"no" nodes.    I was actually writing code to do that right now because
I have a problem where I have trustworthy positive examples and less
trustworthy negative examples.

Another approach might be to try clustering, to turn it into a
multi-class problem.  If it turns out there are clusters that only
contain negative examples that you can identify with high precision,
then you can throw out examples classified into those clusters.

Note that it sounds like you actually do not want to maximize recall -
you could trivially do that by simply returning all results in the
corpus.  It might be more helpful to think about maximizing weighted
F-score, where the weight is biased towards recall.

Stefanie