[Corpora-List] Use of NLP in CALL

Trond Trosterud trond.trosterud at uit.no
Thu Jan 29 16:19:32 UTC 2009

Hrafn Loftsson kirjoitti 29. jan. 2009 kello 14.59:

> Specifically, I'm looking for the use of PoS taggers and parsers to
> help
> students learn, for example, word classes, morphological features,
> constituents and syntactic functions

You should check out our new program, for North Sámi, but with obvious
possibilities for porting to other lgs:

http://oahpa.uit.no/

We use fst for the morphology, and constraint grammar for evaluating
the student's answer in the qa and dialogue games (you may "cheat" the
program by consulting our paradigm generator, http://
giellatekno.uit.no/, generate correct answers, and feed correct and
erroneous answers, in order to evaluate. In order to evaluate the
dialogue games you will need a Sámi speaker/learner, however).

The framework is language-independent, and we could relatively easily
extend it to e.g. faroese, for which we have analysers (well, a bit
more work with the analysers needed... + cooperation with pedagogues).
As for Icelandic, IceMorph and a disambiguator is needed, and then one
needs a component for catching the errors in the student input.

We will release our program next week, and we are not quite yet ready
to extend it to other languages yet, but in the not too distant future
we will.

Trond.

Trond Trosterud                                        t +47 7764 4763
Institutt for språkvitskap, Det humanistiske fakultet  m +47 950 70140
N-9037 Universitetet i Tromsø, Noreg                   f +47 7764 5216
Trond.Trosterud (a) uit.no              http://www.hum.uit.no/a/trond/