[Corpora-List] Generation Challenges 2010: Announcement and Call for Tasks

Anja Belz a.s.belz at itri.brighton.ac.uk
Tue Jul 7 09:53:01 UTC 2009

Announcement and First Call for Tasks

GENERATION CHALLENGES 2010
--------------------------

To be held in conjunction with INLG 2010.

In order to continue to provide a common forum for the expanding range
of shared-task activities involving language generation, we are
organising Generation Challenges 2010 which will include the following
tasks:

1. The GIVE-2 Challenge (Koller et al.): Generation of
natural-language instructions to aid human task-solving in a virtual
environment; GIVE-2 will have virtual worlds that permit continuous
moves (rather than discrete steps as in GIVE-1).  Call for
Participation has been posted (see http://www.give-challenge.org/research/).

2. Post-processing referring expressions in extractive summaries (Belz
et al.): based on GREC-NEG and DUC data.  Call for Participation in
preparation.

In addition, several more tasks are currently in preparation and will
be presented for discussion at the GenChal'10 session at INLG'10 (with
a view to running them as tasks in 2011):

3. Working group on shared task in surface realisation using Wall
Street Journal corpus.

4. Working group on shared task in referring expression generation in
instructional and cooperative dialogues.

At this point, we invite any team of researchers interested in organising
a shared task as part of the Generation Challenges 2010 event to submit a
task proposal. This is not intended to be a selective process.  Anyone
interested in running a shared task as part of Generation Challenges 2010
is in principle welcome to do so.  We would simply like to get an idea of
how many tasks there are likely to be for organisational purposes, and
also to be able to offer advice and support where needed.  In the unlikely
event that more tasks are proposed than can be accommodated, we would make
a selection together with the INLG'10 organisers.  Each team of task
organisers will be reponsible for organising and evaluating their task.
The Generation Challenges 2010 organisers will merely coordinate issues
relating to the special session, presentations and reports.

Please send task proposals to gre-stec at itri.brighton.ac.uk by 2 August
2009.  Please bear in mind the timeline below, and include information
regarding organisers, task description, size and state of completion
of data to be used, evaluation plans and provisional timeline.

Generation Challenges 2010 Timeline:

Submission of task outlines			02 Aug 2009
Recommended first call for participation	Aug 2009
Recommended availability of training data	Aug-Sep 2009
Recommended evaluation period			May 2010
Expected deadline for camera-ready reports	1 June 2010
INLG'10		  				7-9 July 2010

Don't hesitate to get in touch with any questions.  Best wishes,

Anja Belz, Albert Gatt and Alexander Koller

Generation Challenges Steering Committee:

Anja Belz
Albert Gatt
Alexander Koller
Robert Dale