[Corpora-List] Electronic thesauri for Slavic languages

Adam Kilgarriff adam at lexmasterclass.com
Tue Jul 7 09:43:23 UTC 2009

And if distributional thesauruses are good for you, we have one for Slovene
based on a 620m-word corpus so probably high-accuracy, with Russian and
Czech to follow shortly. (Try Vladimir Benko for Slovak.)
All generated as a standard part of the corpus-compilation process for the
Sketch Engine, and accessible at the SkE interface or by web API from
http://www.sketchengine.co.uk

Adam Kilgarriff

2009/7/7 Serge Sharoff <s.sharoff at leeds.ac.uk>

> Hi Dagmar,
> an automatic thesaurus based on distributional similarity is pretty
> reliable, but this depends on the purpose of its use.  We used one to
> generate translation suggestions:
> Babych, B., Hartley, A., Sharoff, S.; Mudraya, O. (2007) Assisting
> Translators in Indirect Lexical Transfer. In Proc. of ACL, Prague, June,
> 2007, http://corpus.leeds.ac.uk/serge/publications/2007-ACL.pdf
>
> Sharoff, S., Babych, B., Hartley, A. (2006) Using comparable corpora to
> solve problems difficult for human translators. In Proc. of Joint
> COLING-ACL, Sydney, July, 2006,
> http://corpus.leeds.ac.uk/serge/publications/2006-coling-acl.pdf
>
> Is this similar to your needs?
> Serge
>

> On Mon, 2009-07-06 at 19:38 +0100, Dagmar S Divjak wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I was hoping one/some of you would be able to point me to electronic
> > thesauri for any of the Slavic languages that can be used in the
> > process of automatically generating semantically coherent sets of
> > words.
> >
> > Thanks so much for your help!
> > Dagmar Divjak
> > --