[Corpora-List] Distribution of errors in dictations

Brett Reynolds brett at forsyths.ca
Tue Mar 3 01:43:40 UTC 2009

In our EAP program, we include dictation as part of our listening
assessment. One thing I've noticed is that errors seem to cluster
together. I'd like to see if this is more than just a vague
impression from marking too many tests. What kind of tools and
statistics might be used to show whether something's happening here?

I suppose one thing I could do is simply count the number of error-
free words that are followed by an error and compare that to the
number of errors that are followed by an error. I remember though
some ways for measuring "burstiness", and I wonder if that might be
relevant. Any thoughts?

Best,
Brett

<http://english-jack.blogspot.com>

Brett Reynolds
English Language Centre
Humber College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
brett.reynolds at humber.ca