[Corpora-List] Modifier list for the English language

Stefan Gindl stefan.gindl at modul.ac.at
Thu Mar 12 14:14:31 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I am looking for a resource (e.g., a list) containing all or most of the
modifiers of the English language. Modifiers, in my case, are all terms
which are able to modify or change the meaning of the term directly
following the modifier. There can be three types of modifiers:
1., intensifiers, such as "very", which gives the subsequent term more
power, e.g., "very hot"
2., diminishers (I am sorry, I do not know a better name for them), such
as "barely", which lessens the power of the subsequent term, e.g.,
"barely hot"
3., negations, which invert the meaning of the subsequent term, e.g.,
"not hot" = "cold"

I mainly need adverb terms which change the meaning of following
adjectives, but other types are very welcome too (I think, modifiers are
generally separated in pre- and post-modifiers and further in adverbial
and adnominal modifiers, so the thing I am looking for are adverbial
pre-modifiers, such as "extremely", "rather", "quite", "highly",
"completely" etc.).

Do you know of such a resource or list or a way I could create it on my own?

I am very thankful for your help!

Kind regards, Stefan Gindl