[Corpora-List] Corpora containing common English words including slang.

Alexander Yeh asy at mitre.org
Wed Sep 2 02:11:58 UTC 2009

Mike Maxwell wrote:
> John F. Sowa wrote:
>> Slang is a dialect or sublanguage used by an "in group", and it may
>> include a fairly large body of words, syntactic patterns, and even
>> modified or stylized pronunciation.  The dialect may be associated
>> with modes of behavior and dress that also distinguish the in-group
>> from the larger society.
>
> By this standard, Aviation English is a slang: it has
> --an in-group
>    pilots and air traffic controllers
> --a peculiar vocabulary:
>    Mayday
>    Alfa Bravo Charlie... (names for letters)

To me, slang has the connotation of being "unofficial",
while as far as I know, at least some of this vocabulary is pretty
official (possibly needing to know to get a government license), so that
among other things, people who normally speak different languages (like
an international flight landing or taking-off from a US airport) can
communicate well enough to get things done.

-Alex