[Corpora-List] Corpora containing common English words including slang.

John F. Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Wed Sep 2 14:22:02 UTC 2009

Merriam-Webster> SLANG is likely to indicate a complex of words
 > and constructions preferred within a limited group, esp. an
 > informal one, to the standard language, and often more or less
 > forceful or novel in their suggestion.

MM> By this standard, Aviation English is a slang...
 > I think the difference is that its speakers are usually looked up to.

But that depends on whether it is spoken by an "airline captain" or
a "fly boy".

AY> To me, slang has the connotation of being "unofficial"...

The distinction between jargon and slang is another one that is
very hard to characterize by necessary and sufficient conditions.

As another example consider the speech of two groups of young women:

  1. Les Précieuses of 17th century France, who were satirized by
     Molière in _Les Précieuses ridicules_.

  2. The Valley Girls of 20th century California, who were satirized
     by almost everybody.

What Valley Girls spoke was called slang, but the manner of speaking
of Les Précieuses was called "preciosity".

Following is a definition of 'preciosity' from the Encyclopedia
Britannica:

Source: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/474364/preciosity