[Corpora-List] copyright problem

Geoffrey Sampson grs2 at sussex.ac.uk
Thu Sep 3 19:07:41 UTC 2009

Well I don't know anything about Portuguese copyright law (and I'm not sure
that China has one); but under English law, sorry, but I'm fairly sure the
answer is that it would be an infringement.  Anonymization is neither here
nor there so far as _copyright_ is concerned.  Of course, this doesn't mean
that the penalty would be very large; what you want to do presumably
wouldn't be undermining the trade of the rights owners, so they wouldn't be
in a position to claim significant damages.  But if you want to stay on the
right side of the law, you would need the authors' permission.

Geoffrey Sampson