[Corpora-List] Deixis

chris brew brew.2 at osu.edu
Thu Sep 17 12:46:11 UTC 2009

joe wilson's "you lie!", to me, is odd. if it is discourse deixis then i
think a fully competent native speaker unconstrained by congressional rules
would have said either "that is  a lie" or "you are lying". the natural
interpretation of "you lie!" is as a claim that obama habitually lies. if
wilson was doing his "spontaneous outburst" after careful thought and
preparation, then the wording may have been quite deliberate, so as to avoid
the outright claim that what obama just said was a lie.
for the larger questions, see donna byron's work on deixis. in natural texts
and dialogs there are a lot of potential targets for deixis, including many
that are not easy to associate with anything present in the surface form of
the text. (my summary, not donna's, read her work if you want the real
scoop)

chris

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 4:34 AM, <CRuehlemann at aol.com> wrote:

>  Dear All
>
> I'd be grateful for pointers to corpus research on deictic phenomena
> including any deictic category: person deixis (e.g. personal pronouns),
> place deixis (reference to location, such as *over there*), time deixis
> (like *yesterday* and tense), discourse deixis (reference to the
> discourse, such as Joe Wilson's  "You lie!"), social deixis (reference to
> social relationship and role), emotional - or empathetic - deixis (indices
> of personal involvement).
>
> Any hints are greatly appreciated.
>
> Chris

CSE and Linguistics