[Corpora-List] Deixis

John F. Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Sat Sep 19 15:25:08 UTC 2009

CR> ... any deictic category: person deixis (e.g. personal pronouns),
 > place deixis (reference to location, such as over there), time
 > deixis (like yesterday and tense), discourse deixis (reference
 > to the discourse, such as Joe Wilson's  "You lie!" social deixis
 > (reference to social relationship and role), emotional - or
 > empathetic - deixis (indices of personal involvement).

I tried an obvious use of Google.  I just typed two words

    deixis tense

There were quite a few relevant hits.  In particular, Google Books
found 18 selections from _Computational and Quantitative Studies_
by Halliday and Webster, published in 2006.  The longest excerpt
began on p. 140.  Among other things, it discussed variations in
tense use with social class.  For the book itself, see

    http://www.continuumbooks.com/books/detail.aspx?BookId=124527

LS> I'm not sure I agree that 'you lie' should be interpreted as
 > a simple present.

MF> 'You lie' not a present tense? Surely, you jest.

Few if any phenomena in natural languages are simple.

John Sowa