[Corpora-List] Comparing Phonetic Corpora of AmerIndian languages

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Mon Feb 1 00:23:56 UTC 2010

Yuri Tambovtsev wrote:
> The two texts of Guambiano (Part 3 and Part 4)
 > also show  a greater degree of similarity (3.02%).

FYI, there were at one time two competing orthographies for Guambiano.
Native Guambiano words lack a voicing distinction on obstruents; both
voiced and voiceless obstruents exist, but they are allophonic.
Therefore a phonemic orthography would use either ptk or bdg (I believe
ptk was chosen for the phonemic orthography, or possibly ptc/qu).

However, Spanish has a phonemic voicing distinction, and it is
represented orthographically (or over-represented, with b and v standing
for a voiced bilabial obstruent, and c/qu in complementary distribution
for the voiceless velar obstruent, not to mention g/gu...).  Many
Guambianos first learned to read in Spanish, there are many Spanish
loans in Guambiano.  The result is that many (perhaps most) Guambianos
are aware of the voiced/ voiceless distinction, even in their native
vocabulary.  Hence there was considerable pressure from community
members to represent this distinction in the Guambiano orthography, so
that a competing orthography was developed with both bdg and ptk.

The SIL linguists working in Guambiano in the 1980s wanted to leave the
decision between these orthographies to the community.  In fact, they
published some Guambiano literature in a sort of diglot, with the two
orthographies on facing pages.  In the late 1980s, another group began
working with the Guambianos, and pushed hard for a phonemic orthography.
  As an SIL member at the time, I was asked to hold a workshop in which
we brought together representatives of the two community groups, taught
a bit of phonology and orthography design, and recommended that they
work it out from there.  (My parting comment was something like, "The
best orthography is an orthography that is widely used.")

The c/qu vs. k difference has also hit a number of the languages in
Spanish-speaking Latin America; up until the 1980s, governments and
educators often exerted considerable pressure to use the Spanish-based
c/qu.  The pressure was later reversed, meaning that many native
language orthographies underwent a shift around that time.

The preferred representation of nasalization on vowels (at least in
Spanish-speaking countries, I'm not sure about Brazil), and of tone
(often simply omitted) also underwent shifts, or at least were
inconsistent among languages (this might have affected the Tucanoan
languages).  Both nasalization and tone act as suprasegmentals in many
the Amazonian languages, so that in orthographies these features are
often shown on only one syllable, and assumed to spread (generally to
the right).  Waorani takes this to extremes, so that in a phonemic
orthography there is no distinction between nasal and non-nasal
consonants; the vowels are instead marked for nasalization.  (More
recently, a Spanish-like orthography has made in-roads in Waorani.)

Other fads included the representation of glottal stops or glottalized
consonants (mostly with an apostrophe, but sometimes with the numeral 7,
or the glottal stop is simply omitted).

All of this to say that with languages where the orthography is in flux,
it's necessary to be very careful interpreting the data.

 > The Chibchan family (Cofan, Guambiano) is  much less similar – 43.90%.

I doubt that Cofan is really Chibchan; it's more likely an isolate.
It's also doubtful whether Guambiano is Chibchan; it's been assigned to
the Barbacoan family.  I'm not sure that even that is generally
accepted, but in any case there's no good evidence (AFAIK) that the
Barbacoan group is "in" Chibchan.
--
    Mike Maxwell
    What good is a universe without somebody around to look at it?