[Corpora-List] FrameNet Frame Element Taxonomy

Ken Litkowski ken at clres.com
Tue Feb 16 17:11:32 UTC 2010

I have mapped the FrameNet frame elements (1000+) into a strict taxonomy or hierarchy (without loops) at http://www.clres.com/db/feindex.html. The taxonomy was created based on the FrameNet frame-to-frame relations, the frame element definitions (e.g., 480+ for Time), and a digraph analysis used to remove a few loops. Analysis of the definitions also made use of the noun hierarchy in the electronic version of the Oxford Dictionary of English. The resultant taxonomy shows that all frame elements can be derived from 12 primitives (Cause, State, Degree, Entity, Role, Purpose, Instrument, Phenomenon, Time, Path, Reason, and Topic). The taxonomy data is available in MySQL and as a CL Research DIMAP dictonary. The link allows exploration of the taxonomy and provides a mechanism for making suggestions for its alteration.

I expect to use this taxonomy in the analysis of preposition complements. I have not yet examined other possible tasks. I will be grateful for any feedback on this exercise.

	Ken
--
Ken Litkowski                     TEL.: 301-482-0237
CL Research                       EMAIL: ken at clres.com
9208 Gue Road                     Home Page: http://www.clres.com
Damascus, MD 20872-1025 USA       Blog: http://www.clres.com/blog