[Corpora-List] Subjunctive mood detection

Taras Zagibalov taras8055 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 11:48:47 UTC 2010

Hello,

I am looking for any papers regarding Subjunctive mood detection.
Is there any way to find phrases describing unreal but desirable situations
(like "I wish you were here")? The problem is that it's not possible to do
with key words (e.g. word "wish" might be used in "I wish good luck to you"
which is not what I am looking for). Modal verbs are not good indicators
either as they describe probability / possibility of something rather than
what is absent but desirable: "I may/might/can go" vs "I wish I went" or "I
wish I could go". It looks like some grammar / patterns may be more reliable
than key-words.
Any suggestions and ideas are appreciated.

Best regards,
Taras Zagibalov

University of Sussex