[Corpora-List] on processing Junk e-mail

Angus Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Sun Jul 25 17:39:28 UTC 2010

On 7/25/2010 1:21 PM, Anabela Barreiro wrote:
> My point was precisely this one: we do not need to click on the link
> to know what is it about, as we don't even have to read the message.
> The subject is enough for any unsophisticated program to do the job of
> eliminating this message from the list, in this particular case.
     I disagree, based on the nontrivial number of false positives I've
seen from every spam filter I've ever observed.  In the two years I've
been on this list, there have been a very small number of spam
messages.  I think that the time cost of setting up and administering
the spam filter, including dealing with false positives, far outweighs
the cost of dealing with a tiny number of spam emails.

     In other cases (for example, my personal inbox), there is enough
spam to make it worthwhile to filter.  In this case, not so much.
Language technology is very useful, but in almost every application it
needs to be double-checked by a human.

--
				-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
				grvsmth at panix.com