[Corpora-List] For students: "CL in Action"

Erik Fäßler erik.faessler at uni-jena.de
Mon Nov 1 09:49:18 UTC 2010

  Hi all,

the new semester has begun and I'm about to plan my first courses. I'd
like to give the new students some overview about applications of
Computational Linguistics in the reals world as well as some good
illustration of the things that happen "behind the scenes" (parsing,
PoS-Tagging...).
I'm thinking of some slides illustrating standard-techniques like NER,
parse-tree-generation, for example. Additionally, some actually
functioning demos would be cool: Perhaps a web-application taking a
sentence and outputting the parse tree, or the PoS-Tags or whatsoever.
Or something demonstrating how spelling correction works.
Do you know some resources where some of these things are nicely shown
and which I could use? Of course I could just do some slides and there
are plenty of parsers, taggers etc. running in our lab, but it's nothing
you'd show your fresh students for a first glance ;)

I appreciate any tips!

Thanks,

     Erik