[Corpora-List] For students: "CL in Action"

Adam Kilgarriff adam at lexmasterclass.com
Mon Nov 1 09:45:46 UTC 2010

Erik,

are the students German?  We've recently produced German word sketches (we
have also for various other languages, but they are always MUCH more fun to
look at in your mother tongue).

The application here is lexicography (amongst others, but it's the simplest
and most direct): people are using the word sketches to write dictionaries.

They benefit from NLP tools for lemmatisation, POS-tagging and
shallow-parsing (as well as others like fast indexing, but that's less
NLP-specific).  There are options for viewing the lemmas and POS-tags in the
output, and you can click to see tagset documentation.

German word sketches aren't on general release quite yet but I can give you
access to a pre-release version if you sign up and give me your username

Adam

On 1 November 2010 09:49, Erik Fäßler <erik.faessler at uni-jena.de> wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
> the new semester has begun and I'm about to plan my first courses. I'd like
> to give the new students some overview about applications of Computational
> Linguistics in the reals world as well as some good illustration of the
> things that happen "behind the scenes" (parsing, PoS-Tagging...).
> I'm thinking of some slides illustrating standard-techniques like NER,
> parse-tree-generation, for example. Additionally, some actually functioning
> demos would be cool: Perhaps a web-application taking a sentence and
> outputting the parse tree, or the PoS-Tags or whatsoever. Or something
> demonstrating how spelling correction works.
> Do you know some resources where some of these things are nicely shown and
> which I could use? Of course I could just do some slides and there are
> plenty of parsers, taggers etc. running in our lab, but it's nothing you'd
> show your fresh students for a first glance ;)
>
> I appreciate any tips!
>
> Thanks,
>
>    Erik

Adam Kilgarriff