[Corpora-List] Python Benchmarks Using Lots of Memory

Yannick Versley versley at sfs.uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Nov 12 18:14:31 UTC 2010

Dear Carl Friedrich,

Most of my own software that I use for CPU- or memory-intensive computation
uses bits of Cython in them (aka it would be awesome if PyPy could talk to
cpdef functions in Cython modules and automagically optimize away the
boxing/unboxing at the PyPy/Cython boundary), but here are two
examples of code that will probably fit your bill in that it can read
in data and
will use more memory when you feed it with more data:

* The DECCA toolkit looks at sequences of POS tags and word sequences
http://decca.osu.edu/software.php
* NLTK is a pure-python toolkit that contains implementations for a couple of
useful NLP algorithms, and includes sample datasets that show what it does
with them:
http://www.nltk.org/
The NLTK book should be a very useful source of examples that can be
used directly on the sample data:
http://nltk.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/book/ch03.html

NLTK is probably a very good testbed for using PyPy on it since
* it comes with its own data, so there's no need to hunt for datasets
or produce synthetic data
* it's actually written with clarity in mind and probably contains less
squeezing-the-last-drops-of-performance-out-of-CPython code than
other projects.

Best wishes,
Yannick Versley