[Corpora-List] RE : Annotation layers: missing reference

Daniel Zeman zeman at ufal.mff.cuni.cz
Fri Nov 19 13:19:03 UTC 2010

Dne 19.11.2010 13:30, FORT, Karen napsal(a):
> ...I'd tend to think, like you do, that Bird&  Liberman were the first to introduce it in the field, don't you think so?

Depends on what is your definition of "the field" and of "being
introduced in the field" ;-)
Along that lines, you might also want to check the Prague School:

Sgall, Petr, Hajičová, Eva and Panevová, Jarmila (1986): The Meaning of
the Sentence and Its Semantic and Pragmatic Aspects. Reidel: Dordrecht,
Netherlands / Academia: Praha, Czechoslovakia
(main publication I guess)

which has its roots at least in 1967 but that one is in Czech only:
Sgall, Petr (1967): Generativní popis jazyka a česká deklinace
(Generative Description of Language and Czech Declension). Academia:
Praha, Czechoslovakia

and which was instantiated in the three-layer annotation of the Prague
Dependency Treebank (first references about 1997; a more influential one:
Böhmová, Alena, Hajič, Jan, Hajičová, Eva and Hladká, Barbora (2003):
The Prague Dependency Treebank: A Three-Level Annotation Scenario. In:
Anne Abeillé (ed.): Treebanks: Building and Using Syntactically
Annotated Corpora. Kluwer: Dordrecht, Netherlands ISBN 1-4020-1334-5