[Corpora-List] Query-By-Example (QBE) -like GUI to query corpora ...

Albretch Mueller lbrtchx at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 13:45:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Christian Chiarcos
<christian.chiarcos at web.de> wrote:
>> honestly I don't believe in OWL/RDF description of
>> ontologies/Semantic Web things in corpora research. At least not in
>> the way I think of corpora which are essentially syntactic beasts
>
> Well, it definitely makes sense as soon as you go beyond a single syntactic
> tree annotated to a particular text (e.g., multiple parses produced by
> different tools, or semantic annotations besides syntactic annotations, or
> syntax annotations accompanied by coreference annotations) ...
~
 I think you have clearly stated it: parses and annotations, even if
multiple and multi-layer, are still syntactic in the sense that we
express and get to them by syntactic means
~
 Take, say, all current pop culture songs and do all the parsing and
annotating you want and then tell me what is the content/lyrics/melody
of the next hit ;-)
~
>>  How on earth could you query texts semantically?
>
> Most query languages implement fragments of first-order predicate logic.
> What's the difference ?
~
 first-order predicate logic as any other is still syntactic in the
same sense. I think it was Wittgenstein who said something along the
lines of: "we cannot gain -new- knowledge out of logic"
~
 I am not just ranting about it. I research on semiotics and based on
how I understand/theorize about things the semantic aspects of
communication essentially relate to consciousness (this is a draft of
a paper I am working on)
~
 http://hsymbolicus.wordpress.com/category/semiotics/
~
 Saying that the semantic aspects of comm. can be -reduced- to syntax
using RDF or in any other way is like saying one day we will be able
to know all there is to know about the universe or that we will one
day be able to read people's minds
~
 lbrtchx