[Corpora-List] Query-By-Example (QBE) -like GUI to query corpora ...

Albretch Mueller lbrtchx at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 21:32:43 UTC 2010

> Albretch or someone else wants to pick up these ideas and turn them into something new and useful
~
 Thank you very much for your briefing on the LSE project Professor Resnik
~
 You mentioned a number of very interesting implementation features. I
have large pieces of code implementing ideas which I restarted working
on (it will all become open source and it will be thoroughly
documented). I will definitely give the LSE project some more
reading/thinking about
~
> The motto for the Linguist's Search Engine,
> borrowed from the movie Field of Dreams, was "If you build it, they will
> come."   Ok, that turned out to be a bit too ambitious, but I think it was
> well worth trying.
~
 They may still ;-)
~
 I read through a second time:
~
 http://umiacs.umd.edu/~resnik/pubs/bls2005.pdf
~
 http://lse.umiacs.umd.edu/lseadmin.pdf
~
 http://lse.umiacs.umd.edu/lseuser.pdf
~
 http://lse.umiacs.umd.edu/techdocs.pdf
~
 and I see you used a java applet as the GUI (exclusively?), perl
scripts, tgrep2, DBMS (Berkeley and postgreSQL), you mentioned
cronjobs, ... why so many and different pieces? For example java has a
power regex engine itself. I assume you were not using java in the
backend (JDBC is great! and end users usually have their own DBMSs)
~
 There were some linguistic features I found very interesting as well,
like parsers for different languages and parsing results open in
different windows for different languages/corpora. Could users
interact with both open corpora using the QBE gui as well? (I am
thinking here about possible usefulness for translations (e.g.,
translation memories))
~
 Was there some research papers or a thesis explaining the LSE (both
philosophy and implementation details)?
~
 lbrtchx