[Corpora-List] Looglefight

george dillon dillon at u.washington.edu
Fri Oct 1 19:02:13 UTC 2010

Dear Adam--
Thanks--it may actually be useful!  googlefight says  depends of  is as
frequent as depends on, but looglefight gets it right for ACL and some
other domains.  For what domain is depends of  the preferred form?

And again, if one is wrestling with the choice between  the current
study and the present study,  looglefight gives clear guidance (the
latter over the former, ~2:1) which would rescue the poor writer from
googlefight's contrary indication (current>present 3:1).

But what we really need is some way to tell the uncertain writer that
current/present is a thing indifferent  (for ACL and much elsewhere) and
just to get on with it, but depends of is stigma bearing.

Cheers!
--gd