[Corpora-List] Looglefight - Just another app

Ken Litkowski ken at clres.com
Tue Oct 5 15:13:31 UTC 2010

  By the self-deprecating manner in which it is presented, I believe has
vastly understated the potential value of Looglefight. As a tool to help
non-native English writers, as well as those of us who struggle with the
latest phraseology, this may be just another app.

Rather than "depend of" vs. "depend on", or "cannot" vs. "can not", how
about "semantic role" vs. "semantic type" or "categorial grammar" vs.
"slot grammar". When you go into the corpus lines and then begin to
explore, not only can you examine alternative phrasings, but you can put
together a picture of where your research might be situated.

C'mon CLers, wield your magic tools, go beyond the statistics, and know
thyselves.

     Ken

On 10/1/2010 10:25 AM, Adam Kilgarriff wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Have you ever been writing an NLP paper and been unsure about the
> usual turn of phrase for something, in the NLP literature?  Now you
> can ask - at http://looglefight.com - and be answered!
>
> Looglefight is a web app that lets you input two alternative
> phrasings, and finds their frequencies in the NLP literature, as
> represented by the ACL Anthology Reference Corpus (ARC; 45m words of
> texts drawn from the ACL Anthology; http://acl-arc.comp.nus.edu.sg/).
>  The ARC have been loaded into the Sketch Engine, which provides the
> indexing etc.  You are also free to explore the ARC on the 'Open
> Sketch Engine' site (http://sketchengine.co.uk/open).
>
> --
> Adam Kilgarriff http://www.kilgarriff.co.uk
> Lexical Computing Ltd http://www.sketchengine.co.uk
> <http://www..sketchengine.co.uk>
> Lexicography MasterClass Ltd http://www.lexmasterclass.com
> Universities of Leeds and Sussex adam at lexmasterclass.com
> <mailto:adam at lexmasterclass.com>

Ken Litkowski                     TEL.: 301-482-0237
CL Research                       EMAIL: ken at clres.com
9208 Gue Road                     Home Page: http://www.clres.com
Damascus, MD 20872-1025 USA       Blog: http://www.clres.com/blog