[Corpora-List] Common Sense Knowledge Symposium

Catherine A Havasi havasi at MIT.EDU
Tue Oct 5 16:03:30 UTC 2010

                             Call for Participation

                                    CSK 2010
                        Commonsense Knowledge
                  November 11?13, 2010

          Registration Deadline: October 15th

                          http://csk.media.mit.edu

                 AAAI Fall 2010 Symposium
                                 Arlington, VA

With special guests: Ed Feigenbaum, Len Schubert, R.V. R. Guha,
                  Patrick Winston, Ken Forbus,  and others!
         Schedule: http://csk.media.mit.edu/node/5
                Registration: http://bit.ly/ajXTEy
             Hotel: http://bit.ly/d6y8b9

When we are confronted with unexpected situations, we deal with them
by falling back on our general knowledge or making analogies to other
things we know. When software applications fail, on the other hand,
they often do so in brittle and unfriendly ways. The sheer amount of
commonsense knowledge one would need to represent makes it challenging
to acquire, to represent, to reason efficiently with, and to harness
in applications.

A growing number of research projects now seek to use knowledge
collections in a wide variety of applications, including computer
vision, speech processing, robotics, dialogue and text understanding,
and apply them to real-world tasks such as healthcare and finance,
where brittleness is unacceptable. At the same time, new application
domains are giving fresh insights into desiderata for common sense
reasoners and guidance for knowledge collection efforts.