[Corpora-List] Quotation (lexicography)

Laura Lofberg Laura.Lofberg at uta.fi
Thu Sep 9 07:35:46 UTC 2010

Thank you very much for all the replies! Not only did I find what I
was looking for (Hanks suggested by Upali) but also got some other
very interesting references such as the paper by Kilgarriff which I
had read long ago but had then forgotten all about it.

But the quote that Laura is searching for implies
> that lexicographers' discretion may be excessive or irresponsible.
> We may need to ask her about that if we are to unpack the problem
> without moving into the checks and balances offered by modern
> lexicography. She seems to want to make a point about 'anything
> goes' attitudes.

After comparing various dictionaries I simply came to the conclusion
that they differ quite a bit as to their distinction of senses. And
then this quotation popped into my mind, and I wanted to find out in
which context it was uttered exactly, so now I can order the book from
the library and read more. Thanks! Anyway, compiling dictionary
entries is indeed a challenging task, how to split or lump depending
on the target group, the size and the purpose of the end product.

Best,

Laura