[Corpora-List] LaTeX for alignment visualization

Nitin Madnani nmadnani at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 13:17:22 UTC 2010

Hi Joerg,

I have always used Omnigraffle (on the mac) for manually building my
alignment matrices (see my Computational Linguistics paper for
examples). They look really nice but, of course, you can't do this for
a large number of sentences. if you want an alignment matrix directly
in LaTeX format, check out PostCAT
(http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~strctlrn/CAT/CAT.html) which has a LaTeX
mode. If you are okay with writing your own code to convert an
alignment printed to the screen, you can check out the cdec decoder
(http://cdec-decoder.org/index.php?title=Main_Page) or even Moses
(www.statmt.org/moses). I also remember Chris Callison-Burch had
developed a very nice alignment matrix visualization tool that you
could screen grab once you load the alignments into it. However, I
can't see it on his webpage right now. I am pretty sure he would be
happy to share it with you if he still has it lying around somewhere.

Hope this helps,
Nitin

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Joerg Tiedemann
<jorg.tiedemann at lingfil.uu.se> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I was wondering what kind of LaTeX packages/macros people use in their
> papers for visualizing word & phrase alignments. I'm looking for
> simple ways of producing nice-looking pictures for several types of
> alignments and alignment problems. I need both types, links as lines
> between words in parallel sentences and matrix-based alignment
> visualization (with boxes for aligned phrases).
>
> So far I used eclbip for the line-based style but I just realized that
> the package is obsolete (and the pictures are not very clean either)
> and I don't know if there is a replacement with a similar simple
> interface for bipartite graphs somewhere. I know that there are
> several packages for graphs but I liked the simplistic way of
> specifying links with the eclbip package. For the matrix-based style I
> don't know at all especially when including phrase alignment boxes.
> Anything that does not force me to draw pictures by hand or to mess
> around with pstricks or something similar would help me a lot.
>
> Thanks in advance for any links!
>
> Jörg
>

> --

Got Blog?