[Corpora-List] PhD positions in computational linguistics and machine learning at Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia

Mark Johnson mark.johnson at mq.edu.au
Mon Aug 8 00:40:23 UTC 2011

We're recruiting PhD students to work on computational linguistics and
machine learning at *Macquarie University* in *Sydney, Australia*.

We're looking for strong candidates with good mathematical and
computational skills interested in human language comprehension,
acquisition and its instantiation in the brain.

A strong background in mathematical analysis (multivariate calculus and
linear algebra) and computer science (algorithms and data structures, as
well as programming experience) is important; prior experience in
machine learning and/or statistics is desirable.

Various funding sources are available for both Australian and overseas
candidates. I especially encourage overseas applicants to apply for an
International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS)
<http://www.hdr.mq.edu.au/information_about/scholarships/hdr_scholarship_international_candidates_only>;
applications for these are due on the *31st August 2011*.

The areas we are especially targeting are:

    * *Computational models of language acquisition:* (especially
      non-parametric Bayesian models). This project involves developing
      new models of language acquisition and applying them to child
      language development data. It involves working with language
      acquisition researchers as well as computational linguists and
      machine learning experts.

    * *Computational models of incremental syntactic and semantic
      processing:* (especially on-line processing of both text and
      speech). These projects require a good background in statistical
      parsing and/or language modelling. Possible projects include
      coreference resolution, semantic role labelling and incremental
      syntactic parsing.

    * *Machine learning and computational neurolinguistics:* This
      project involves applying statistical models and machine learning
      methods to neural imaging data from our on-campus MEG and fMRI
      facilities. We're especially interested in developing new methods
      for applying machine learning techniques to address questions of
      basic scientific interest. This project will involve working
      closely with neuroscientists as well as machine learning experts.

Contact *Mark.Johnson at MQ.edu.au* for more information.