[Corpora-List] PS:minimal changes in a paragraph (based on a corpus it appeared) ... (2nd attempt (after first one was deleted))

Albretch Mueller lbrtchx at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 02:07:48 UTC 2011

> - for premise 1, while Dmitri Genzel, Jacob Uszkoreit and Franz Och had a nice paper in EMNLP last year on poetic translation (http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/research.google.com/en/us/pubs/archive/36745.pdf), the part of poetry that they address is just metre and rhyme, not content and beauty.
~
 Well, yes that paper was about metre and rhyme I meant its -content-
when I mentioned "poetry". There is also some form of multilevel
"semantic/content rythm and rhyme" in poems/art, even though a poem
may not me metric whatsoever or the metric may not relate in any way
to its content, as a good example:
~
 http://hsymbolicus.wordpress.com/category/poems/ (Construção, by Chico Buarque)
~
 Not long ago someone apparently from this list contacted me privately
to tell me about his "secret weapon" to analyse text semantics/content
... Basically I just told him to check with his thing this poem
~
 http://hsymbolicus.wordpress.com/category/poems/    (lies … (1 poem
20110730 revision 56))
~
 Even though I don't (and cant') believe in syntactic devices to
analyze language, I was somewhat curious as to the result of their
"analysis" among a number of reasons because I very well know that
poem ;-) so I gave them the benefit of the doubt, yet I never heard
back from them. Based on knowing well that poem and the result of
their "secret weapon" I think I could have "hacked" into the inner
working of the thing ...
~
- for premise 2, it is one thing to be able to articulate a procedure
that systematically explores a set of options, quite another to be
able to do so efficiently
~
> So, in theory yes, in practice maybe one day, in a limited kind of way.
~
 For now, honestly (maybe in the not so distant future I may myself be
part of proving it technically). I do believe one day we will get text
processing (all those issues like NLU, NLG (which to me is a form of
NLU, ...) right and I also believe the way to go is using corpora and
forget about the semantic web thing and all of that kind of stuff
~
 lbrtchx