[Corpora-List] PS:minimal changes in a paragraph (based on a corpus it appeared) ... (2nd attempt (after first one was deleted))

Alon Lischinsky alon.lischinsky at kultmed.umu.se
Wed Aug 10 15:34:46 UTC 2011

Hi, Ramesh.

> 2. Which led me to these quotes, in the same lectures:
>
> “Indeed, the main aim of descriptive linguistics is to make statements of
> meaning”(Firth 1957:190)
>
> ‘For Halliday the important thing about language is the capacity to mean.’
> (Willis 2003:16)

And then, of course, we have the question of whether meaning is
primarily a semantic or a pragmatic phenomenon. In 'On texts, corpora
and models of language', Michael Stubbs makes the good point that our
natural perception of language dwells mainly on the illocutionary
force of the language act, not its disembodied semantics.

A.