[Corpora-List] PS:minimal changes in a paragraph (based on a corpus it appeared) ... (2nd attempt (after first one was deleted))

Krishnamurthy, Ramesh r.krishnamurthy at aston.ac.uk
Wed Aug 10 14:19:09 UTC 2011

"I think if you harness syntax really tight in a totally exaustive way

(think of keeping all possible n-grams of all texts) "semantics"

becomes some sort of illusion (how functional|irrelevant illusion it

be, remains to be seen)" Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx at gmail.com>

1. This reminded me of a quote from Bloomfield I used in my lectures:

"The study of language can be conducted without special assumptions so long as we

pay no attention to the meaning of what is spoken." (Bloomfield 1933:75)

2. Which led me to these quotes, in the same lectures:

"Indeed, the main aim of descriptive linguistics is to make statements of

meaning"(Firth 1957:190)

'For Halliday the important thing about language is the capacity to mean.'

(Willis 2003:16)

Ramesh Krishnamurthy
Visiting Academic Fellow, School of Languages and Social Sciences, Aston University, Birmingham B4 7ET
Room: NX01. Tel: 0121-204-3812.
Director, ACORN (Aston Corpus Network project): http://acorn.aston.ac.uk/
Project Investigator, GeWiss (Volkswagen Foundation) project: http://www1.aston.ac.uk/lss/research/research-projects/gewiss-spoken-academic-discourse/

To: "John F. Sowa" <sowa at bestweb.net>