[Corpora-List] EmoText - Software for opinion mining and lexical affect sensing

Graham White graham at eecs.qmul.ac.uk
Sat Dec 17 13:09:15 UTC 2011

I think this is a very good point, especially since a lot of this
software can be quite harmful if it's oversold. I'm thinking
particularly of social network analysis tools, and claims that they can
"detect terrorist networks" or such like. Of course, no serious
researcher would make exaggerated claims like that, but they do get
made (and the reasons for the making of such claims lie somewhere in the
complex social network of researchers, software manufacturers, and
politicians). And the results of such overselling can be quite damaging.

We all want, of course, to be able to say "well, here is this software,
and it works a bit, so give it a try but be careful", and I think in the
academic community we can get away with it (and it can also be a very
useful thing to do). But it's very difficult to get a message like that
across in the public domain, and there are all sorts of reasons
(such as public perception of uncertainty) why it's difficult to get
across.

Graham

Graham White
Electronic Engineering and Computer Science
Queen Mary University of London