[Corpora-List] EmoText - Software for opinion mining and lexical affect sensing

Justin Washtell lec3jrw at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Dec 23 16:31:45 UTC 2011

Alexander, Yorick,

I think we all agree that for correctly addressing sentiment etc, pragmatic (i.e. such as might include demographic) information plays an important role. Not just for correctly handling lexis ("rubbish", "trash" etc) but, more subtly, stuff like the kind of metaphors people use ("it's the Chicken Tikka Masala of mobile phones") and their prior attitudes ("it was exactly what you'd expect from a Hollywood movie"). And I don't think anybody would disagree that garnering more data, and extralinguistic features, can help to improve our chances in the long run. These are very important observations which Alexander is astute and right to make. However - and at the risk of tempting fate - I also think most of us probably agree that if the present state-of-the-art cannot correctly deal with relatively straightforward compositional cases of common language, then no amount of tuning on the data is going to solve the problem: rather it suggests that something about our base model is inadequate.

Justin Washtell

University of Leeds