[Corpora-List] Which Statistical Test is Suitable

John F. Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Thu Jul 14 12:15:46 UTC 2011

On 7/14/2011 7:16 AM, Benjamin Allison wrote:
> In any case, I'm with Chris - there's no test in a book I can think of
> that will answer the question you want to ask. Note that all the above
> is for a single confusion in a single context---you'd need to think
> about how to combine all these predictions too!

If you really want an adequate model, you need to consider much more
context than a character-based approach.

Even people who know English grammar very well sometimes make errors
when their fingers automatically type 'there' for the sound that
should be spelled 'their' or 'they're'.

Even worse:  slips of the tongue (and slips of the fingers) are
often "Freudian slips".  People (especially psychoanalysts) notice
such things, but good luck in developing a statistical model.

John