[Corpora-List] [Corpora-List ] Query about Internet corpora (different text types)

Christine Amling chamling at students.uni-mainz.de
Fri Jun 3 11:22:46 UTC 2011

Dear Angus,
first of all thank you for that paper. Unfortunately I cannot download
it, due to the lack of a Facebook account and a personal refusal of mine
to get one. (The website asks me to log in in order to download the
paper. Maybe it works from the university network, without logging in,
but I doubt it.)
In general what you did sounds like a very good idea, but brings to my
second problem: In order to gather IRC data I need channels. All the
channels I've been to so far are empty or people just chatting useless
things, like the stats of games, so there is only numbers and no real
dialogue. I guess I have to look a bit more for that, too, but if
somebody knows a few busy English IRC channels, I wouldn't be ungrateful.
Thanks for the help so far.
Christine
----
I don't know about existing IRC corpora of any other languages (since
you're clearly looking for English), but in 1999 I compiled my own
corpus of IRC French by running a bot on #france for several days to
collect a log. I used the corpus to investigate right-dislocation
constructions, aka "antitopic," as I described in this working paper:
http://stjohns.academia.edu/grvsmth/Papers/646687/Antitopic_and_Word_Order_in_Conversational_French

-- -Angus B. Grieve-Smith Saint John's University grvsmth at panix.com