[Corpora-List] [Corpora-List ] Query about Internet corpora (different text types)

Angus B. Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Sat Jun 4 02:03:37 UTC 2011

On 6/3/2011 7:22 AM, Christine Amling wrote:
> Dear Angus,
> first of all thank you for that paper. Unfortunately I cannot download
> it, due to the lack of a Facebook account and a personal refusal of
> mine to get one. (The website asks me to log in in order to download
> the paper. Maybe it works from the university network, without logging
> in, but I doubt it.)

     Well, that's obnoxious of Academia.edu!  I thought they allowed
people to download everything without an account.  Here's a link that
doesn't require download:

http://www.grieve-smith.com/Academic/portfolio/antitop.pdf

     You can create an account for Academia.edu without having a
Facebook account, but I understand if you don't want to do that either.

> In general what you did sounds like a very good idea, but brings to my
> second problem: In order to gather IRC data I need channels. All the
> channels I've been to so far are empty or people just chatting useless
> things, like the stats of games, so there is only numbers and no real
> dialogue. I guess I have to look a bit more for that, too, but if
> somebody knows a few busy English IRC channels, I wouldn't be ungrateful.

     I wouldn't be surprised if people had stopped using IRC long ago.
I think a lot of people have migrated to SMS, AOL, MSN, Twitter and
Facebook.  Unfortunately, those are proprietary, closed systems.  But
what about these top 100 channels?

http://searchirc.com/top100.php

--
				-Angus B. Grieve-Smith