[Corpora-List] Managing texts and their edition history ...

Rafael Beraldo rberaldo at cabaladada.org
Fri Jun 3 20:23:52 UTC 2011

Albretch,

If the text is store in a plain text format, such as .html, .tex, .xml etc.,
I would personally use Git [1] (and LaTeX to typeset the text). Git is used
to managed software development but has been applied successfully to the
creative process of texts. Other well-known open source version control
systems are: Baazar, Mercurial, Subversion. Based on your questions,
probably that's what you are looking for.

If you are going to use a binary format, that is, .doc, .docx and so forth,
then it seems to me that MS Word has a revision system built-in, although
I'm not sure how powerful it is. Finally, you can always use Google Docs
[2].

[1] http://git-scm.com/
[2] http://docs.google.com/

On 3 June 2011 11:28, Albretch Mueller <lbrtchx at gmail.com> wrote:

> ~
>  Say you have a number of people collaboratively authoring some text
> (creating and editing it in a free and promiscuous way (of course,
> people would not be typing in the same section of the text at the same
> time)).
> ~
>  What software is used to manage the text + the creative and editing
> processes?
> ~
>  Could such software (or any other kind) be used to synchronize
> translations?
> ~
>  How do people to such things?
> ~