[Corpora-List] Managing texts and their edition history ...

Albretch Mueller lbrtchx at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 02:41:06 UTC 2011

> In order to minimize potential merge conflicts, keep each line to a minimal length (say 80 characters) and do not realign the paragraph in the document while editing.  This serves to keep lines reasonably atomic.
~
 Most written sentences in books in most European languages are longer
than 80 characters. I could see as a problem that lines are kept
"reasonably" atomic
~
> ... Microsoft Word
~
 Microsoft Word docs can be (programmatically (in very easy ways))
saved as ".odt" and/or ".rtf" ones
~
 git is a super cool tool when it comes to version/revision control
designed by Torvalds, someone who definitely knows where the shoe
hurts, but for example it only looks at the source (as I understand
it, it does not deal with permission or any type of authoring credits
naturally related to code/file segments and their contexts) We
software developers have tools such as compilers for sanity checks,
but with free texts/NLP all those purely syntactic beasts are useless
~
 Say, you have a group of people working on a large translation
project. There are people who are good translators with knowledge in
certain content areas and people who aren't and/or don't in such cases
as part of translation memories it is important to keep track of who
translated what in which context. Also, they haven't devised yet a
compiler for poetry ;-) (I don't think Torvalds can tackle that one)
~
 lbrtchx