[Corpora-List] Managing texts and their edition history ...

John K Pate j.k.pate at sms.ed.ac.uk
Sat Jun 4 10:57:51 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-06-04 at 02:41 +0000, Albretch Mueller wrote:
> > In order to minimize potential merge conflicts, keep each line to a minimal length (say 80 characters) and do not realign the paragraph in the document while editing.  This serves to keep lines reasonably atomic.
> ~
>  Most written sentences in books in most European languages are longer
> than 80 characters. I could see as a problem that lines are kept
> "reasonably" atomic

Rafael just means inserting a carriage return once a line reaches 80
characters. You can have vim do this automatically at whitespace
with :set textwidth=80 for example, and, in edit mode, gggqG will go
through the whole file and enforce this constraint.

>  Say, you have a group of people working on a large translation
> project. There are people who are good translators with knowledge in
> certain content areas and people who aren't and/or don't in such cases
> as part of translation memories it is important to keep track of who
> translated what in which context.

git actually does keep track of this information on a line-by-line
basis. Check out git blame: man git-blame

I've never done any translation annotation, so I don't know if git is a
good solution, but it is very good for general-purpose distributed
version control.

John

==
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0930006/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.