[Corpora-List] VISL and Corpuseye threatened at University of Southern Denmark

Diana Santos dianamsmpsantos at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 08:53:34 UTC 2011

>>From this mail, I gather that there are some people who are not in the
Portuguese-speaking lists, and should therefore be informed through
the corpora list as well.

Since VISL is one of the most important actors in the computational
processing of the Portuguese language, and most of the public
resources available for Portuguese, through Linguateca, have benefited
enormously from the annotation of the PALAVRAS parser, we have started
a campaign with signatures and explanation of why VISL is important
and recognized in our community. (Namely, the communitty engaged in
the processing of Portuguese, in which Eckhard Bick is one of the most
famous actors.)

The site has been online for a week now, and we have already gathered
a large number of signatures and expressions of support from all over
the world.

http://ww.linguateca.pt/Diana/Abaixo.html

Still, if you have used or are using any of the resources provided by
Linguateca which were benefitted by the annotation by PALAVRAS, I ask
you to sign it as well, leaving in the comment field more information
on how you used the tools and the resources and for what.

For example,
AC/DC, http://www.linguateca.pt/ACDC/,
COMPARA, http://www.linguateca.pt/COMPARA/,
CorTrad, http://www.fflch.usp.br/dlm/comet/consulta_cortrad.html
and Floresta http://www.linguateca.pt/Floresta
are prime examples of the importance of VISL cooperation.

This is not to avoid – or prevent – that major actors in the
computational processing of the Portuguese language write directly to
the instances that Eckhard sent in – I have already done that, of
course. The above-mentioned signature campaign is solely meant to ALSO
show the importance of his work in a particular community.

So please corpora-list members, distribute this information to all
your colleagues that have not seen the announcements in the Portuguese
lists but may feel that they owe this single gesture to VISL and
Eckhard as well.

I intend to send the result on Monday 27, so please -- those who have
anything to do with Portuguese or with the use of the above-mentioned
resources -- sign it until then.
Diana Santos
www.linguateca.pt