[Corpora-List] translating french determiners into other languages

Margot Colinet margotcolinet at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 23:01:05 UTC 2012

Please find a selection of the links that I have been advised after the
mail I posted on corpora list on the 20th of January:

- A parallel corpora for a given phrase is provided by www.linguee.fr.
Linguee deals with four bidirectional languages combinations:
english/french, english/spanish, english/portuguese, english/german.

- A French/English dictionary : http://dico.isc.cnrs.fr

- The "Tobar na Gaedhilge" (
http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/~oduibhin/tobar/index.htm) which has to be
downloaded and installed in Windows.The "Tolbar na Gaedhilge" is a set of
parallel corpora (Gaelic-English, Gaelic-French) and the interface is in
Gaelic (Irish).  Concerning French, it contains a small English-French
parallel corpus consisting of the following texts in both languages:
Pêcheur d'Islande (Loti/Cambon), Ben-Hur (Wallace/Mazoyer), Typhoon
(Conrad/Gide)/Amy Foster (Conrad/Jean-Aubry).

Thank you again for your answers.

Margot Colinet
Paris Diderot-Paris 7

*Mail posted on corpora.list on the 20th of January:*

I'm a PhD student working in formal semantics on the meaning of some French
determiners, such as *'le moindre N'* which can be translated into English
as 'any N at all', 'the slightest N', 'a single N' when it occurs
in negative sentences (see (1)) and as 'any N' or 'each and every N' in
positive sentences (see (2)):

(1) Je suis totalement ignorante, je ne connais pas *la moindre* *ville* de
ce pays.
I'm totally ignorant, I don't know *a single town* of this country.

(2) Paul est impressionnant, il connaît *la moindre ville* de ce pays.
Paul is amazing, he knows* each and every town* of this country.

I'm interested in comparing French with other Romance languages such as
Italian and Spanish but also with English. I'm looking for a parallel
corpora tool (preferably online) which would find the most
frequent translations of the determiners from French to these three
languages, and provide a list of parallel sentences for each possible
translation.

Any reference to available tools would be highly appreciated. You can
answer directly to me, I will summarize your tips in a later post.

Thanks you for your help!