[Corpora-List] EmoText: summary and transparency

Alexander Osherenko osherenko at gmx.de
Tue Mar 13 11:28:04 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am very indebted to those who tested the EmoText-engines (
www.socioware.de/EmoTextDemo.html). The most users wanted to check the
semantic Engine (short utterances) and not the statistical EmoText (long
utterances). However, the statistical engine (opinion mining in movie
reviews) is also very engaging.

Although the most users tested the semantic demo they were very unlucky
with it. At least, they mentioned it in the analyzed utterances. Or they
wanted to test the engine using very nasty examples and showed in this way
how unhappy they are. Or, they used very "slangy" words that are not stored
in the system database.  That's why I implemented a new option that shows
up words that participated in the analysis -- type '\b' as an utterance to
see the list of meaning-bearing words.

There were users that were creative indeed. My personal favorites of
utterances:

a. This demo is far from brilliant.
b. I don't think it is good at all.

Although I significantly  extended the database with negations (also
implicit), intensifiers, emotion words (about 7000-8000 expressions), I am
still confident that I missed some emotion words. However, I am confident
that there are not many emotion words that can be considered as emotional
per se and they must be identified dynamically in the current utterance
context. I didn't include slang words.

I didn't consider idioms. For instance, the example "She can't lift
anything heavy, so she's a fat lot of good!" taken from the Cambridge
Learner Dictionary  and containing the idiom "a fat lot of good" is still
not working but I will work on idioms. I will also work on the context
consideration.

Have fun!
Alexander