[Corpora-List] Quotable Statistics on Unstructured Data on the WWW

Rich Cooper rich at englishlogickernel.com
Fri Dec 6 17:48:29 UTC 2013

+1   (another shot to be fired (:-|)

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com

Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

9 4 9 \ 5 2 5 - 5 7 1 2

  _____

From: corpora-bounces at uib.no
[mailto:corpora-bounces at uib.no] On Behalf Of
Stefan Bordag
Sent: Friday, December 06, 2013 9:10 AM
To: corpora at uib.no
Subject: Re: [Corpora-List] Quotable Statistics on
Unstructured Data on the WWW

Hi there,

For me, the difference between structured and
unstructured is whether it is possible to use some
kind of a simple and precise query system which
guarantees to retrieve a particular information,
if it is there. Doing that on a database is easy,
use SQL or any of the other database access
systems.

Doing that on any information in text is not easy.
Even using the best full text capable search
engine you are never guaranteed to get the one
information you were looking for, and only that
information. For this matter it is irrelevant
whether it is semi-structured or "fully"
unstructured. The semi refers to the vague feeling
that it might be easier to extract information
from tables in text, but as a matter of fact, it
is not (or not significantly), since people tend
to invent all kinds of tables and information
meshups. It is only easier in very specific
domains where you can make valid assumptions about
what kind of tabular information representations
to expect.

So, I fully agree that there should be the
distinction between structured and unstructured
and probably should be shot next now. :)

Best regards,
Stefan