[Corpora-List] Concrete uses of learner corpus data: summary

Sylviane Granger Sylviane.granger at uclouvain.be
Tue Dec 31 11:57:22 UTC 2013

Dear colleagues,

Thanks to those of you who provided me with information on concrete uses of learner corpus data. I attach a summary of the answers below. The potential is clearly there but it looks as if there are not many up-and-running applications yet. If you have further thoughts on this issue, don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Best wishes for 2014!

Sylviane

1) Ana Frankenberg-Garcia: used learner error data in two experiments to find out whether learners can correct typical errors by looking at corpus examples.

Frankenberg-Garcia (forthcoming) "The use of corpus examples for language comprehension and production". ReCALL Special Issue on Researching Uses of Corpora for Language Teaching and Learning.

Frankenberg-Garcia (2012) "Learners' use of corpus examples".  International Journal of Lexicography, vol 25, 3, pp 273-296.

2) Jarmo Jantunen: corpus-based electronic learner dictionary ConLexis for Finnish L2 learner: http://wiki.virtues.fi/conlexis/

Jantunen et al (2013). Korpuspohjaista oppijansanakirjaa tekemässä: esimerkkinä ConLexis. Lähivõrdlusi. Lähivertailuja” journal 23

http://www.rakenduslingvistika.ee/ajakirjad/index.php/lahivordlusi/article/view/LV23.04

3) Shin Ishikawa: dictionary project based on the ICNALE learner corpus: Wisdom Japanese English Dictionary 2nd Edition, Sanseido, 2013

Ishikawa, S. (2013). How to incorporate findings from LC studies in EFL dictionaries: From misuse to over/underuse. Paper presented at Asialex 2013.

Related info in Japanese:

http://dictionary.sanseido-publ.co.jp/dicts/english/wisdom_je2/

http://dictionary.sanseido-publ.co.jp/dicts/english/wisdom_je2/sp/preface.html

4) Maria Belen Diez-Bedmar: DDL activities informed by Computer-aided Error analysis.

Pérez Cañado, M. L. and Díez Bedmar, M. B. (2006) Data-driven learning and awareness raising: an effective tandem to improve grammar in written composition? International Journal of Emerging Technologies 1(3): 1-11.

5) Špela Arhar Holdt: Online corpus-based language resource for Slovene called Pedagogical Grammar Portal designed for L1 acquisition but containing features that could also be used for L2 learning.

http://slovnica.slovenscina.eu

6) Denise Delegá-Lucio: Unpublished PhD dissertation (2013): Variation in Argumentative Essays and Material Design: Multidimensional Analysis and Learner Corpora Applications. Contains activity samples based on tagged learner corpora and BYU COCA.

7) Cristina Arcuri Eluf: Use of a Learner Corpus ComAprend on the COMET _USP platform to inform teaching materials. http://www.fflch.usp.br/dlm/comet/

Arcuri Eluf (2012). Teaching and Learning English as a Foreign Language: An interface between Corpus Linguistics and Multiliteracies from an Intercultural perspective. In Lima, D.C. (ed.) Language and its Cultural Substrate: Perspectives for a Globalized World. Pontes.

8) Marcus Callies: uses LC data in DDL activities in SLA classes (e.g. "Analysing learner language", "Advanced learner varietes").

9) Maria Kunilovskaya: Russian Learner Translator Corpus (RusLTC available at http://www.rus-ltc.org/) designed for translation training.

Presentation at http://www.scribd.com/doc/99620866/slides-for-russian-learner-translator-corpus

Description in English at http://www.dialog-21.ru/digests/dialog2012/materials/pdf/133.pdf