[Corpora-List] Machine Readable Dictionaries

John F Sowa sowa at bestweb.net
Tue Feb 19 07:25:30 UTC 2013

On 2/19/2013 2:03 AM, Muhammad Adeel wrote:
> I want to extract synonymous words from the dictionary/thesaurus. For
> example, if I give it the word "car" it may return synonyms like
> "automobile, motorcar". Note I am already using WordNet but looking for
> other resources.

You might find the software for Formal Concept Analysis (FCA) useful
for your purpose.  Following is the FCA home page:

    http://www.upriss.org.uk/fca/fca.html

As examples, the FCA tools were applied to WordNet and Roget's Thesaurus
to generate a little lattice around any word.  For Wordnet, see

     http://www.ketlab.org.uk/wordnet.html

For Roget's, see

    http://www.ketlab.org.uk/roget.html

You can submit your words to both of them.  You can submit words
of any part of speech.  WordNet is not very useful for adjectives,
but Roget's Thesaurus produces interesting lattices.

There is a lot more FCA software available for free download.

John Sowa