[Corpora-List] Longman Spoken American Corpus

Ian Olasov ianolasov at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 16:39:14 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

I've been talking with some people at Pearson about getting access to the
Longman Spoken American Corpus, but so far haven't had any luck. Does
anyone have any advice about how to get ahold of the corpus? Or, barring
that, does anyone know of a large-ish (>= 2 million words) corpus of spoken
English, preferably American, balanced across different registers of
conversational interaction, with documentation about the speakers' age,
ethnicity, sex, and level of education? I've been working with the Santa
Barbara corpus, but need a larger corpus to get more robust collocational
data.

In case anyone's interested, I'm tagging the lines or sentences of the
corpus for whether they involve moralizing (accusing, blaming, apologizing,
holding to account, etc.) of any sort. The goal is to get a rough map of
who moralizes and in what sorts of interactions, and to have a database of
real moral utterances for testing philosophical theories about the function
of moral language.

Thanks!
Ian Olasov
Graduate Center, City University of New York